Chan Heung's 10-basis regels
‘‘These codes were written by the founder of Choy Li Fut: Chan Heung in his original manuscript and are translated here into English’’.
1. The Practitioners of Choy Li Fut practice for the purpose of developing a strong and healthy foundation for their bodies. Therefore the practitioner should keep practicing and never forsake it’s way.
2. Similar to the Buddhist teachings, with the high level of skill obtained in Kung Fu kind, gentle, good and patient heart must, a also be developed your skill to commit injustice or injury to. You must never use others defending oneself. By committing injustice and, but only for the purpose of injury to others you go against the rules and regulations of society and the government.
3. Respect and obey all other previous practitioners of Choy Li Fut as they are your seniors, this reflects on your politeness and good heart.
4. All your fellow classmates are brothers in Choy Li Fut and belong to the same generation. Act towards each other in kind, gentle, faithful and reliable ways. Respecting each other through trust, friendship and honesty. Do not bully the weaker brothers in any way.
5. Brothers in Choy Li Fut are not allowed to fight with each other. To distinguish a Choy Li Fut practitioner, the action of the tiger claw is used.
6. Do not drink alcohol in excess and eat meat in excess. Alcohol and meat in excess will make you disorientated. Making your mind and spirit to become unclear as a result, accidents mayhappen which could damage your body.
7. Students are not allowed to teach other people outside the school as it may attract trouble to you and others. The exception is if you deem a person to be pure and gentle heart, then you may teach him and pass your knowledge on.
8. Never misuse your skill on others believing you are better than they are, as this only causes trouble. Do not fight/bully others to show that you are better than they are.
9. When using Kung Fu you have learned, you are to think how to remain humble and not be proud of your success: not placing yourself in front of others. If you misuse your knowledge to gain money, then you are within Choy Li Fut a betrayer of our founders wishes and bring down the group’s name.
10. If you cannot abide by all these rules then you may leave or if you break them and dispute the rules, the Sifu may expel you from the school.